Monday, September 17, 2012

What's Wrong with Aging Anyhow?

Every magazine I pick up has a plethora of articles with anti-aging in the title. It's starting to get to me. Why should we be anti-aging? Aren't we all doing it? It's sort of like being anti-breathing. If you aren't aging, then what the hell are you doing? You're dead, right? Actually, I think it's time our society start venerating aging. I don't know about you, but, I'm damned glad I'm aging. That means I'm still alive and I have another opportunity to learn, love, help someone, make a difference in this world. I think I'll start writing letters to the editors of those magazines asking them to start including some article on the positive aspects of aging. One of my favorite books on the subject is Getting Over Getting Older by Letty Cottin Pogrebin. It was written in 1996. She also has a great blog: http://www.womensmediacenter.com/author/profile/letty-cottin-pogrebin. Once you start looking at the literature on the subject of aging, you can discover tons of interesting books. Just a few that I've found are: Composing a Further Life by Mary Catherine Bateson, Claiming Your Place at the Fire, by Richard J. Leider and David A. Shapiro, The Gift of Years, Growing Older Gracefully, by Joan Chittister, and Prime Time, by Jane Fonda. Each of these is a realistic look at life beyond the age of 50. They offer insights and suggestions on how to make the most of the life ahead of us. So, unless you plan to die young, I would encourage you to look into aging and stop all this anti-aging nonsense.

1 comment:

  1. Me too! You tell 'em sister. I figure, if I can be a grandfather, I can be anything. And I'm proud to have made it this far =]

    ReplyDelete